Far Infrared Sauna Benefits to Cardiovascular Health
Posted by : Rocky Mountain Saunas Team
According to Dr. L. Wilson, M.D., the benefits of far infrared sauna use are obtained during a session when the pulse and beat volume of the heart increase in response to increased heating of the body. Surface blood vessels dilate as blood is shunted from internal organs to the surface. Blood pressure tends to remain the same or decreases during a session. Repeatedly shunting blood to the body’s surface with infrared sauna therapy improves the flexibility of blood vessels, particularly peripheral arteries. Deep tissue heating with infrared saunas facilitates artery repair. * (1) (8)
Infrared sauna use increases circulation by stimulating vasodilatation of peripheral blood vessels, providing mild cardiovascular conditioning. Users of far infrared saunas were able to improve blood flow and circulation and reduce the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes and other associated health conditions, according to research reported in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Lower cholesterol and lower triglycerides were also reported. * (5)
Causes of High Blood Pressure and the Far Infrared Sauna Benefits of Use
Causes for high blood pressure include inflamed arteries, hardened arteries, constricted arteries and kidney congestion. Infrared sauna therapy can benefit all of these causes of high blood pressure. Heating the body and dilating veins and arteries enhances oxygenation and encourages the formation of new blood vessels, assisting cardiovascular rehabilitation. *(2) (4)
Benefits of far infrared sauna therapy include the relaxation of the arterial muscles and research indicates that the arteries open up and blood flows through them more easily and with less pressure.* (6) (7)
Elimination of toxic metals such as iron, cadmium, and other metals in the arteries are a further benefit of far infrared sauna use, which helps reduce inflammation and brittleness of the arteries. Heavy metals are major causes of plaque formation. *(9)
Recent research by T. Kihara and C. Tei show that infrared sauna therapy benefits can extend to reducing symptoms associated with congestive heart failure. Daily session of 15-20 minutes per day for two weeks reduced premature heartbeats, arrhythmia episodes and levels of hormones linked to heart damage.* (7)
Dr. Wilson further stated that Heat Shock Proteins produced as a result of far infrared sauna therapy may play an important role in improving congestive heart failure as well as recovery from heart attacks. *(3)
Research by NASA during the 1980′s has shown that far infrared sauna use for the cardiovascular system was a most effective method for keeping astronauts’ heart health in optimal condition.*
Heart studies done by The Mayo Clinic and the Journal of the American College of Cardiology determined that infrared sauna therapy significantly improved blood vessel functioning in high-cholesterol, diabetes and smoking patients. Infrared therapy also was found to increase circulation, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, and help in weight loss.* (4)
Read about more Sauna Health Benefits
Rocky Mountain Saunas has come to the conclusions posted on this page through research and detailed investigation of these particular health benefits. References are listed and linked wherever possible.
*Rocky Mountain Saunas and its associates do not provide medical guidance. Consult a licensed doctor for medical advice. All of the information contained in this website is for information purposes only. Results of using our products vary on an individual basis and no immediate permanent or guaranteed solutions can be provided. We reserve the right to change, without notice, anything contained within the article. Rocky Mountain Saunas shall not be held responsible for printing variations.
Far infrared sauna benefits have been documented by a multitude of medical studies related to the overall health benefits and treatment of chronic maladies and conditions. For more information about bringing the benefits of far infrared sauna therapy into your home, with your own personal infrared sauna, call 1-888-358-1270 Monday-Friday 9am-4pm MST.
1. L. Wilson, M.D. ‘Sauna Therapy for Detoxification and Healing
2. T. Kihara, C. Tei, 2002, ‘Sauna Therapy/ Improvement of Vascular Endothelial and Cardiac Function
3. R.C. Kukreja, ed, ‘Heat Shock Proteins in Myocardial Protection
4. Flickstein, A., Infrared Thermal System for Whole-body Regenerative Radiant Therapy, Dascom Graphics, Santa Fe Springs, 1997.
5. Rogers, Sherry A., M.D., Tired or Toxic, Prestige Publishers, 1990. (Also Detoxify or Die, 2002)
6. Ise, N., T. Katsuura, Y. Kikuchi and E. Miwa, 1987, Effect of far-infrared radiation on forearm skin blood flow, Ann Physiol Anthropol., 6(1)(Jan):31-32.
7. Kihara, T., et al., 2002, Repeated sauna treatment improves vascular endothelial and cardiac function in patients with chronic heart failure, J Am Coll of Cardiology, 39(March 6):754-759.
8. Wyss, V., 1966, On the effects of radiant heat on different regions of the human body. Behavior of cardio circulatory and respiratory activity, oxygen consumption, oral and skin temperature during infrared radiation of different areas in acclimatized and non-acclimatized subjects, Med Lav., 57(4)(April):262-85.
9. McVicker, M., Sauna Detoxification Therapy, McFarland & Co., Jefferson, NC, 1997.
© 2013 by J. M. Henson and Bulldog Publishing. All Rights Reserved. All material contained herein is the exclusive property of Rocky Mountain Saunas, Inc. Any unauthorized reproduction or use of materials is strictly prohibited.